Chapter 1: Trial

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chapter 1: Trial

Post by Monobear on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:09 pm

The elevator doors open to reveal a massive round room. Red walls and a checkerboard floor, and in the center a wide circle of podiums, eerily similar to the circle of desks they started in. At one of the podiums, someone was already there; the familiar picture of Jaden crossed out in a bright red. Each podium had the little icons discreetly painted on the inside, labeling them.

Monobear was sitting on what looked much like a throne, raised high above them like a judge.

"Welcome, welcome to the big show!" He jeered, "Sit down, or rather, stand at your stand!" He gave them a moment to organize.
"Before we start, I suppose I should tell you all how this will work. Your task is to reason out the identity of the culprit, and vote on who to accuse!"

"Should you correctly identify the culprit, they alone shall be punished! But if you vote for the wrong person...they will receive the punishment instead. Upupupu...the blood will be on all of your hands!" He grinned as though dodging another topic at hand.

"We'll begin now. While this debate will go on with as few interjections from yours truly as possible, I request that you each make a short introduction around the room. Oh, no! Nothing personal. Just an opening statement. How about an opening topic to help? Alibis, perhaps?" He was leaning towards Oscar now, "Barnes, you're up!"

Monobear
Admin

Super High School Level: Despair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 1: Trial

Post by Oscar Barnes on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Oscar walked slowly into the enormous room, almost afraid he'd get lost on the way to his stand. His was right near the top, uncomfortably near Monobear. If this was a normal school, he'd ask to get his seat changed.
He gave a little wave to Adda and Marci, seeing that he'd be separated from them, albeit, only by Laura. On his other side was Herbert, who he trusted a little more after he helped Adda.
Oh right. He's the one who punched her.

Oscar felt cornered already.

The rules did little to settle him and all too suddenly he was on the spot.
"A-Alibi?" He had to run the word in his head a few times before he could remember what it meant. "Th-the m-mur-...it happened at 2:15, right? So, well, 2:15...I didn't eat dinner last night. I think I went to the cafeteria before then. I woke up and...I brought some food up to my room...maybe about 3..."
It was one of the flimsiest alibies ever told, there was almost no way he was making it up.

Oscar Barnes

Super High School Level: Alchemist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Besley on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Laura sighed a bit at the fact that she'd have to be standing throughout the trial. If there was a god, it really was not smiling upon her today. She turned to Asher and gave him a reassuring smile, then took her place at her podium.

As Oscar spoke, a harsh feeling of guilt crept over Laura. If not for that fight, he would have been the first person she tried. That much she remembered. Struggling with her mixed feelings, Laura was too distracted to formulate her introductory statement. Dammit. Being second in the list of students really had its drawbacks. Laura had virtually no time to think of a reasonable alibi, so she'd have to work with what she had and hope that none of the others who had been in the hallway tried to contradict her.

"I wasn't awake for a lot of last night," she began shakily. "And when I was, I managed to let this happen." Laura lifted one of her crutches for her classmates to see in order to solidify her point. "That was the middle of the night. Just like with Oscar, that doesn't match up with the time of Jaden's death. I couldn't have murdered him after that." She hoped that she sounded convincing without giving too much away.

Laura Besley

Super High School Level: Dirt Bike Rider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adda Geist on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Adda clutched her hands and fidgeted at the stand after a small wave back to Oscar. She still couldn't quite grasp that someone was going to die after this, and the fact that her testimony at some point might later lead to condemning someone else.

"Really early last night I visited Oscar, and then I visited Marci at the library earlier, but by 2:15 I was in my room asleep. So other than returning to my room, I wasn't out. And I didn't hear anything on my way back, either."

Adda Geist

Super High School Level: Occultist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marci Gracidon on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Marci looked around as she walked up to her podium. She her fingers grazed the surface of it as she watched everyone giving alibis carefully and meticulously. Once it was her own turn, she felt a wave of nervousness being watched instead of the one watching. Even more to her dismay, she had figured alibis would be discussed and upon realizing she didn't have one, she was slightly upset.

"Around midnight me and Adda met up in the library and talked a bit, like Adda just said. After that I headed to the auditorium to relax at some point around 2am. No one else was there, so...it's not much of an alibi, really." she sighed. This wasn't going to be fun.

Marci Gracidon

Super High School Level: Poet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander Redman on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Alexander walked up to his podium slowly. He was going to be okay. He was going to be okay. They have nothing to say to him now. They were silent. Like he always wanted them to be. Time to give the statements. His promise drifted back into his mind. He closed his eyes, focusing on his mind and saying everything clearly and with no hints of his mania.

"I was with Herbert in the early night, but he was asleep by the time I went out at mid night. Some...events occurred and I was..."
A coward
"A coward- wait." Alex's concentration broke. He opened his eyes and looked around. It was dead silent. Who talked?
"I-I well, it was too much, I went back to my room after fleeing the whole debacle..."
Crucify her. She'll end you if you don't.
Alex's face changed in that instant. As much as one of his drugs could help his violent mood swings, he was still in a manic state. It would take days for him to adjust back. "Of course, of loving course! I ran away! She tried to kill me!" he sang, his voice high and mocking as a wicked grin spread across his face. He looked straight at Laura, his grey eyes boring into her. "You know how people get when they finally snap! Worse than me and my voices! At least I can ignore them!" he laughed.
"But my little nakama was fast asleep when I returned at...oh...midnight." he sniggered again.

Alexander Redman

Super High School Level: Kickboxer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asher Reizen on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Asher stepped up to his own podium, smiling back to Laura and giving a small thumbs-up. The sensation was strangely familiar- standing on a raised platform before others, all hanging on his actions. Though this time it was different. Very different. Were at home people come to him with families for a good laugh, now everyone circled about him, waiting to find something-anything- to accuse himself and others with. Well, not everyone was like that, at least. He wanted to stand up for Laura, but now wasn't the time.
"Let's see... around 2:15, I was in the cafeteria. It was pretty clear someone was there before, and I did see Oscar leave with some food. Other than that, though, I just slept and practiced my routine in the gym," he finished. The alibi wasn't bulletproof but, then again, nobodies was.

Asher Reizen

Super High School Level: Carny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by David River on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 pm

David looked around the room in confusion as he entered and shrugged, walking over to a podium that was labeled his. He wondered briefly where they got the picture, but quickly dismissed it. They probably stole it from the same place they got the folder. Which he previously decided to keep off his mind.

David grinned; in the time that people had discussed their alibis and or had mental breakdowns that would be up for discussion later, he had come up with an infallible one, because he HAD an infallible one!

"So, I headed over to the main office around 2am just to relax. And uh," he laughed a bit, "I feel asleep. Pretty dumb, I agree! No one saw me, but I've got proof it happened!" He nodded proudly. "The when the bear started today with his announcement, he paused to yell at someone for sleeping in his chair. You remember that, right? That was, er, me! Meaning there's no way I could have done anything."

David River

Super High School Level: Chauffeur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eloise Rutford on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Eloise tapped her fingers on the stand anxiously, making her seem impatient. It was her turn finally, and already she had a few questions. She noted Laura's lack of an explanation and decided she would keep quiet too. That would wait for later.
David's alibi cleared up the odd announcement, at least.

"Mine's not quite as solid, I'm afraid. I was catching up on my beauty sleep during the time of the murder." She grinned nervously, "Isn't this proof enough?"

It wasn't.

Eloise Rutford

Super High School Level: Disguise Artist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbert Smith on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00 pm

So he was the last one up. Herbert took his place on his own podium, crossing his arms and scratching his beard. He gave Alex a rather curious stare. He wasn't like that before. At night, he meant.

He inwardly groaned at his own alibi. It was the worst, but it was certainly true.

"Ah was sleepin.'" He said, shrugging.
He wondered if Janice was lonely up there in heaven. He hoped that file was true, then. The both of them would go the same way. It was rather poetic; they were like twins.

Herbert Smith

Super High School Level: Game Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monobear on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Monobear nodded from atop his seat.

His eyes seemed to be on David since he told his alibi, narrowing ever so slightly.
At last the final kid spoke, "Intriguing...! Now, the trial for the murder of Jaden Masters officially begins! Start off with a few questions...why don't you begin, Smith?" He turned back to the young man who had just spoken last.

Monobear
Admin

Super High School Level: Despair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbert Smith on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Herbert visibly flinched when he heard the bear called for him to start.
Oh he had plans.
"Woll, we gotta figure out wot we got, roight? We already know he wos probably strangled ta doth, boi one'a 'is chains." he began, leaning forward and twirling his forearm to the side. "I didn't find anythin'- just the type of poofter shampoo 'e uses. An' ah have a few facts about tha body."
"An' fer starters, lets see wot you got Luna- Lamda- Larda- Laura. Turn yer pockets out!" his voice became a little more gruff. He saw her take something. And she looked like she was trying to be a sneak too. But he was getting the vibe he was opening a can of worms. Alex and her had some tension now, and he was slightly certain it was relevant.

Herbert Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Asher Reizen on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:45 pm

"You brought up the body right now, right? That has nothing to do with whatever Laura found just yet!" Asher called out. "You just mentioned the chain, right? Shouldn't we discuss its relevance? What kind of person would go through the trouble of taking the chain when it'd be easier to use your hands?"

Asher Reizen

Super High School Level: Carny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Besley on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Laura looked across the room at Asher and blinked calmly at Asher. "It's ok, Herb's right. If we want to get to the bottom of this, we'll need to play with our cards on the table." At that, Laura balanced on her right crutch and grabbed something out of her left pocket. It was an Electronic Student ID. "I hate to disappoint you, Herb, but this is the only thing of relevance that I have. It's Jaden's Electronic Student ID. I found it outside my door when I woke up this morning, right before we found Jaden's body. I never took anything from his room. You imagined it."

It was a lie of course. In the same pocket, Laura had other belongings of Jaden's. But that wasn't important. No one else needed to know about them, and she was doing Jaden a favor by not giving them up.

Last edited by Laura Besley on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Laura Besley

Super High School Level: Dirt Bike Rider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbert Smith on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:53 pm

An electronic ID? Outside her room? That was suspicious already, but she was calmly stating it. Either she was innocent, or covering herself by appearing so.
"Ah don't imagine things. Unlike some other people here." he hissed, narrowing his eyes at her. "An' ain't it a bit suspicious to say yah found it? Yah could be misleading us with honeyed lies fer all we know."
It wasn't rather good to go on the offensive, but he might as well do so. He had nothing to lose, after all.
"Everythin' about 'im is relevant now. We did a bloody fucked up job of that investigation, if I can say."

Herbert Smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top